Clan Stewart Camp

Flemings-Camp-CSC-cropped

During the 1900s the Fleming family formed a deep and abiding love for the Fishing Islands at Oliphant, on the Lake Huron side of the Bruce Peninsula.  Attracted by the rugged nature of the islands, the abundant fishing, and the beautiful blue waters, they established camps in the very early 1900s on Main Station, Little Squaw, Sunset, Frog, and others.  Clan Stewart Camp on Little Squaw continues as a family gathering place. Roy Fleming, Ruth Larmour’s grandfather, and Roy’s Aunt Jennie bought this parcel of land in 1909 on Indian Channel and built a Victorian cottage.  They named their cottage Clan Stewart Camp after Jennie’s mother, Jean Stewart Fleming. The cottage has been modified a few times since, but its porch is still a favourite place for lounging in the afternoon.

The story of the early Fleming campers, their descendants, and of Clan Stewart Camp is told in “The Fleming Family – Early Oliphant Campers'” published in the Yearbook Edition 2017 of the Bruce County Historical Society.  Ruth Larmour is the narrator  with tales of early cottage life, the changing connections of family with the islands, and her own deep attachment.

Read the full article at  Fleming-Oliphant-Version3a-2017.pdf (in Dropbox)

 

Small progress report

Although this blog has been very quiet we have been making progress in further research into the lives of  Alexander and Jean (Stewart) Fleming’s family.

Ruth Larmour was fortunate to have in her possession a journal written by Jennie Fleming of her travels from Kilsyth to Toronto by train in 1869, and to Marquette, Michigan by steamer in 1871. The diary has been donated to Grey Roots Museum and can be viewed there, but we will make the transcription and our notes available through this blog as well.

Jennie-Fleming-diary-page-cropped-sm

We are also pleased to announce that the Bruce County Historical Society will be publishing in the 2017 Yearbook Edition – The Fleming Family: Early Oliphant Campers  –  Ruth Larmour’s recollections and reminiscenses  of the many Flemings who camped in the Fishing Islands of the Saugeen Peninsula from 1885 to the present, and especially of  her cottage, Clan Stewart Camp, on Little Squaw established by Jennie Fleming and her nephew Roy in 1906.

From this point forward, we’ll post something about new work on the family history each month. Please send questions or comments.